chipKIT® Development Platform

Inspired by Arduino™

Issue after upgrading the licensed debugger firmware

Created Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:40:08 +0000 by gabs28


Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:40:08 +0000


To cut it short, what happened is that I have connected the Cerebot Mx4Ck Chipkit board ti MPLAB IDE v8.92 and after I have selected the programmer to be the Licensed debugger I have done it ...

That is I have clicked on Manual Download of firmware in menu: Programmer/Setting/Configuration and selected the file presented there i.e. "PK3FW_012890.jam" .

Now, when I reconnect the Cerebot it still is reported as : "CerebotMX4ck by Digilent" but after I load the hex for my program as I did before all 3 Red LEDs on the debugger will flash and the code will not run.

Is there any way to revert to original Licensed Debugger firmware, please ?

Thank you.


Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:11:06 +0000

Well, MPLAB should update the firmware automatically, if a newer version is available. It is rarely necessary to install an older firmware.

A couple of questions may help us understand what's happened:

  1. What prompted you to select a manual firmware update? Was it something displayed in the IDE?

  2. Have you tried MPLAB X? v8 is no longer actively supported, so it can't deliver more recent firmware updates. There have been 3 releases of X since the last v8 release.

Hopefully we can solve this for you in short order.


Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:57:58 +0000


You right, actually the automatic update was ticked, but for no reason I have just clicked on the manual update.

I have just tried with Mplab-X v1.70 , got the following:


Connecting to Licensed Debugger...
Firmware Suite Version.....01.28.90
Firmware type..............PIC32MX

CerebotMX4ck by Digilent
Target detected
Device ID Revision = B4 B6

program memory: 
boot config memory
configuration memory

Programming/Verify complete

At this stage I could see only the outer yellow LEDs lit but still no joy on my hex functionality (tested ok before this update).

Then I went back to MPLAB and tried to load my hex. Got the following errors:


Well, eventually I have manually updated again and it seems to be ok now.

Tested in Mplab-X as well and its OK. :oops:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.